RU.GCXC Local Internet Registry :: Faq


Do I need to be a member of the RIPE NCC to receive an IPv4 or IPv6 transfer?

It depends on what kind of address space is being transferred. The receiving organisation will need to be a member in the case of:

  • A transfer of allocated Provider Aggregatable (PA) IPv4 space from another LIR
  • A transfer of IPv4 PA space through a merger or acquisition (though the receiving party may become a member as the transfer is processed)

  • The receiving organisation will not need to be a member in the case of:

  • A transfer of Provider Independent (PI) space from another resource holder
  • A merger or acquisition where the organisation receiving PI space has a sponsoring LIR

  • Can Provider Independent (PI) space be transferred?

    Yes, Provider Independent (PI) IPv4 space can be transferred according to: section 6.4 of “IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region" Additionally, in the case of a merger or acquisition, the registration of these resources can be updated to reflect the new holder. This is explained further in the Mergers and Acquisitions section.

    What are the time restrictions when transferring Internet number resources?

    IPv4 addresses can only be transferred if 24 months have elapsed since:

  • The allocation was made by the RIPE NCC
  • The address space was received by another entity
  • There are no time constraints for transferring IPv6 or ASNs.

    Can I transfer Internet number resources in/out of the RIPE NCC service region?

    The "Policy for Inter-RIR Transfers of IPv4 Address Space" has been implemented by the RIPE NCC. This means it is possible to transfer Internet number resources to/from other RIR service regions with corresponding inter-RIR transfer policies. Currently this is APNIC and ARIN.

    Is there a cost for processing a transfer?

    No. The RIPE NCC processes transfers as a service to its members.

    Can I transfer Provider Independent (PI) space that currently is not registered with a sponsoring LIR?

    No. A transfer of Provider Independent (PI) space can take place only if both the offering and receiving party fulfil the contractual requirements for independent resources (ripe-637).

    Can I buy or sell IPv4 address space?

    Yes. RIPE Policies use the term "transfer", but this can include any agreement to buy or sell address space. The RIPE NCC has no role to play in any financial agreement between members.

    Do restrictions that apply to transfers within the RIPE NCC service region (such as the 24-month holding period) also apply to inter-RIR transfers?


    Can I request an inter-RIR transfer to/from LACNIC or AFRINIC?

    No. Inter-RIR transfers are only possible between RIRs with compatible policies. Currently, ARIN and APNIC are the only RIRs that can perform inter-RIR transfers with the RIPE NCC.

    Does a broker need to be a member of the RIPE NCC?

    No, any legal entity or natural person can become a Recognised IPv4 Transfer Broker by signing the "Recognised IPv4 Transfer Broker Agreement" and providing their registration papers. In doing so, the broker agrees to adhere to the relevant RIPE Policies and RIPE NCC procedural documents.

    How do I become a Recognised IPv4 Transfer Broker?

    Email and sign the “Recognised IPv4 Transfer Broker Agreement”, and provide a copy your registration papers and the contact details that will be shown in the list of IPv4 Transfer Brokers. By becoming a Recognised IPv4 Transfer Broker, you agree to adhere to the relevant RIPE Policies and RIPE NCC procedural documents.

    Besides contacting a broker, is there any other way to find or advertise IPv4 address space??

    Yes, as a member of the RIPE NCC you can also make use of the IPv4 Transfer Listing Service. This is a platform that enables RIPE NCC members to list and exchange IPv4 address space they no longer need. The listing service is only available to members and its use is included in the annual RIPE NCC membership fee.

    What terms and conditions apply to the IPv4 address space I may receive from a broker?

    The IPv4 transfer request will be evaluated according to “IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region”. The RIPE NCC procedural document “Transfer of Internet Number Resources and Change of a Member’s Official Legal Name” describes the process that the RIPE NCC will follow for any transfer request. Brokers need to adhere to the relevant RIPE Policies and RIPE procedural documents at all times.

    Do brokers need to be registered with the RIPE NCC to arrange transfers?

    No. Brokers that are not listed as Recognised IPv4 Transfer Brokers are still able to facilitate transfers in the RIPE NCC service region. It is important also to note that recognised brokers are not endorsed by the RIPE NCC, do not act on our behalf, and do not receive any privileged information regarding our members or Internet number resources within our service region.

    Can I transfer resources between the multiple LIR accounts that I hold?

    Yes, you can. However, you should take the following into account: IPv4 allocations are subject to the RIPE NCC Transfer Policy and can therefore only be transferred 24 months after the allocation date. If after such a transfer you decide to close the LIR account, the full annual fee for the closing LIR account must be paid. If there is only one last IPv4 allocation left in the LIR account, the annual fee needs to be paid before that resource can be transferred.